the green fields beyond

Theologylifelovehistoryfaithmoviesrants...

Name:
Location: Charles City, Virginia, United States

Friday, September 11, 2009

'Til the Dawning of the Day

For September 11th: “The Dawning of the Day,” a traditional Irish tune given new lyrics in 2002 by Mary Fahl, for the play-based movie The Guys (about a writer who helps a FDNY fireman write eulogies for all his men killed in the 9/11 attacks). Lyrics are below, but it’s much better to listen to Ms. Fahl perform it. Here’s the only audio I could find, which sets the song to a video of clips & images from September 11th, but it’s not necessary to watch the video if you’d rather focus on the beautiful song & lyrics.

This morning early I walked on
while my darling was in a dream
The last sweet days of summer bloomed
and dressed the trees in green
Then soaring high in the gleaming sky
from far across the bay
came a fearsome roar from a distant shore
at the dawning of the day.

Then I called my men to follow me
knowing well that the view was dim
Though tired and worn, how they fought all morn'
as time was closing in
And my heart was sad though sore with pride
for brave lads all were they
As the angels fly, how they climbed so high
at the dawning of the day.

But the edge is moving nearer now
inside the fading sun
and calling, calling out to them
my brothers, one by one
But only dusty silence sounds
The ashes float away
as the twilight ends and the night descends
'til the dawning of the day

Forgive me love, I'm going now
so very far away
When darkness falls, only think me near
and do not be afraid
And please don't grieve when I am gone
Abide in what remains
'til the shadows end and we meet again
at the dawning of the day.

For when shadows end, we shall meet again, at the dawning of the day.

4 Comments:

said...

Thanks for posting this, Justin. So beautiful and so appropriate for today.

2:13 PM  
said...

I appreciate this, Justin. Thank you. Mom

6:38 PM  
said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:20 PM  
said...

Test Comment

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home