the green fields beyond

Theologylifelovehistoryfaithmoviesrants...

Name:
Location: Charles City, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Help me beat my students!

I'm looking for some fresh material for my drum students...new stuff (or classic stuff that I've forgotten) that we can work on together. So i'm asking for help from all those millions of you out there who read this blog. What are some songs with cool drumbeats? The ones that make you want to bob your head or dance in public despite the risk of embarrassing yourself? Send them in!! And lest you think a song is too well-known and that the students have already learned it, I will reproduce the following actual dialogue:
Me: So, here's one I'd like us to learn. I think you'll like it.
Student: Ok; who's it by?
Me: U2.
Student: Who?
Me: No, not the Who...you're not ready for Keith Moon yet. This is by U2.
Student: [blank look]
Me: [forced smile]...c'mon, you know...U2.
Student: Oh, Wu-Tang Clan!
Me: Um, no, although we can learn their stuff too, if you want. I said "U2." They're more...rock.
Student: Oh, rock--like Yellowcard or Nickelback?
Me: No. No. Not much like them at all, actually. (stifling a sob)

So please send those songs in! The youth of America need help!

And of course, the obligatory drummer jokes...
Why are orchestra intermissions limited to 20 minutes?
So they don't have to retrain the drummers.

What is the difference between a drummer and a savings bond?
One of them will mature and make money.

What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?
You only have to punch the information into the drum machine once.

How can you tell a drummer is walking behind you? You can hear his knuckles dragging on the ground.

2 Comments:

said...

Thanks for participating in the redemption of musical taste, guys! We've already done some of those songs (Rock 'n' Roll part 2, aka the Hey Song; a swing piece or two) but i'll have to go check out some of the others you mentioned.

1:29 PM  
said...

Hey-
I can't remember that Van Halen song, though I think it was off of the 1984 album--maybe "Panama". Also, Rusted Root's "Drum Trip" or "Martyr". Yeah, that's all I got right now...
~liz

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home